Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Delightfully Turkish

Going through my freezer I found a batch of falafel from a little while ago, and that was all the excuse I needed to put together this Turkish extravaganza. I do love being on holidays with time for excessive cooking - there is no way this will happen once classes start up again!


Falafel freeze reasonably well, but I haven't yet found a recipe I'm really happy with. I would like to try using dry chickpeas and soaking them myself as I find the falafel I make from tinned chickpeas is too soft and lacking in texture. I would quite like to try this recipe Falafel Recipe from the Closet Cooking blog I follow.
The didn't make the bread myself, I buy it (fresh on the day I intend to serve it) at the local Turkish take away shop, but all the rest I do myself. The yogurt is really easy but makes all the difference, just combine 1/2 cup of low fat natural yogurt, the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of tahini, I also garnish mine with sumak but that is completely optional. The tabbouleh is very traditional, very similar to this recipe but I use about 1/2 cup of Bulgar and 3 tomatoes.
I often omit the lamb to have a healthy vegetarian meal, but when I make the effort and include it it's the most popular part of the meal. The natural high fat content of lamb makes this a little less healthy, but also makes it taste like a classic greasy late night kebab. I fry up a diced onion and 2 or 3 crushed cloves of garlic for a few minutes before adding 400g of lamb mince, 1 tsp each of ground Cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and a little Cayenne pepper and salt. The lamb recipe is based on one in The Student Cookbook which I love, it is absolutely full of quick, easy, tasty and mostly healthy recipes.
 



I went even further than usual with this meal and put together a Turkish desert as well. I bought some Turkish delight and made some Turkish themed pastries. The pastries are pistachios, slivered almonds a little sugar, water and rose essence whizzed up in a food processor, wrapped in circles of short crust pastry and baked in the oven. I made a honey and rose essence syrup to drizzle over them.



No comments:

Post a Comment